- Select reliable staff. Optimize your selection processes and human resources to hire creditworthy people who lack the possible financial problems to reduce the possibility of temptation within your organization. Socio-economic studies are very reliable and help especially when contracts are for positions where they have to manage money.
- Establish identification mechanisms. Provide your employees with badges with photography, identity codes, passwords and personalized users in the systems and in general any mechanism that allows to establish at all times, who is responsible for everything within the company as well as the hours of entry and exit from each person. This may sound cumbersome but it is essential to be able to demand responsibility at all times.
- Implements audit mechanisms. A simple but effective audit is to check regularly randomly and surprisingly that your staff is complying in an orderly manner with their responsibilities. It consists in requesting that they show you important documentation such as receipts, invoices and boxes that are totally square and up to date. This control will allow you to detect possible suspicious or anomalous actions and take preventive measures before an event occurs.
- Be very jealous with the information. Information is one of the most important assets of your company. Do not allow anyone to have open access to all kinds of data such as customers, products, inventories and prices. And much less financial and banking information. Be very jealous and selective and allow only a few people you trust to have access to.
- It uses formal control mechanisms. Ensure you have access control systems in place. Many businesses in their desire to reduce costs use informal accounting mechanisms that are often entirely at the discretion of employees, allowing the possibility of altering systems and reporting less actual billing. A good investment that will help you have more control is to invest in automated control systems such as cash registers and inventory and warehouse software systems.
- Train your staff against criminal events. It never hurts to pay a security company to train your staff on how to act in cases of critical situations or to prevent possible attacks such as robberies, kidnappings and assaults. A better trained employee can make a difference in order to reduce losses for this kind of situations.
- Protect your vehicles with satellite systems. One of the best mechanisms to reduce attacks against your merchandise transport vehicles is installing satellite tracking systems. These are not only very effective in the issue of location but also help the criminals to leave before attacking your vehicles. The costs of these systems are not low but they have tended to be increasingly accessible. And make sure you have a very visible sticker that says “Truck protected by satellite system”.
- Invest in computer security. The security of the systems is increasingly important as many frauds can be perpetrated from the network (internally or externally). Advise and implement certain minimum actions such as acquiring a good firewall, antivirus or regular habits of changing passwords and taking backup copies will reduce the chances of risk.